Bench Restoration: Awesome Edition

Bench_Final.jpg

We picked up a very nice, but very weathered iron garden bench some time ago. It was an exciting find and an exciting day.

It was all so exciting, in fact, that we immediately went about finding a nice, little spot in the yard for it, discussed our most sincere intentions to restore it and then promptly let it sit and deteriorate for an eternity.

Behold the rotten bench!

Bench_2.JPG

Yes, an eternity is a long time. And you can see what an eternity does to an unprotected bench. It uglifies it. It just doesn't care about your sincere intentions. Nature wants to come by and douse your bench with rain and wind and earwigs and reclaim it's stuff. ...A real menace.

Know what else is a menace: any mosquito, anywhere. Ever.

Bench_3.jpg

But one day, you say to yourself, "enough is enough." You start taking that bench apart and thus beginning the restoration.

Firstly, we do a thorough inspection. It includes rot analysis, which is widespread. It includes rust analysis, which is widespread. It includes bolt and screw deterioration, which is... widespread!

Hot pockets! We've got ourselves a custom job, here.

Bench_4.jpg

Those iron pieces needed to be scrubbed with a wire brush to remove the rust. There were lots of little nooks to get into and ridges to get around. But, the time you spend doing this, of course, is directly proportional to your rust accumulation, your arm strength or how many mosquitoes are landing on your ears.

The rotten slats were completely replaced with pressure-treated wood.

Bench_5.jpg

Rust removal: check. Rot removal: oh yeah.

Most of the difficult stuff is done at this point. Whats left is paint and hardware.

We used a dark bronze metallic Rust-oleum spray over every piece before reassembly. It's not easy to see the sparkly-sparkly in the pictures. But, it's got a sparkly-sparkly, for sure.

Bench_7.jpg

All new bolts, nuts and screws were easily replaced. But, there was a bit more work to do making two metal supports that go underneath the slats.

I suppose we could have bought exactly what we needed somewhere, somehow. But, buying your own metal blanks, cutting and boring into them makes us feel pretty sparkly-sparkly. So, that's what we did.

Hardware replacement: right on.

Bench_8.jpg

In the end, we've restored a bench to its former glory and protected it from the coming onslaught of uglification by bugs and elements and a variety of mammal poop.

We are calling it a success.

Hip hip hooray,
Matt and Lisa