Mulberry Pendant































Here's another piece I made from a mulberry branch.* This branch was about an inch wide and I sliced it into thin chips with the miter saw.

Then I went looking for an interesting way to sand it that might sort of artificially create a new texture. What I ended up doing was using a coarse sand paper attachment on the dremel to sand away a channel of the bark all around the chip.

You can see it in the pictures where the circular shapes appear and disappear. This is because I made a point of sanding unevenly and choosing to leave the bark in certain places or just sanding through half of it in others. Lots of different tones of the wood show up.

A hole was drilled through the middle of each piece in order to feed through the heavy-gauge wire. How heavy? I don't know. But that stuff is tough to bend.

Pliers and a vise were essential. And, also, a willingness to work through the pain. Oh. My... Hands.

Then after that horror is over you look down at your terrifically twisting steel and realize that it's gone through quite the ordeal, too. Because pliers and vises like to scratch. Nasty little things.

So, it's back to the trusty dremel and the sharpening attachments. These things sharpen metal and stone and shave off tiny sharp things from pipes and whatnot. They are very handy for working with metal of any kind or size.

And once the scratches were cleaned up, I rounded the tips to be nice and smooth and that was that. Pendant accomplished.

Thanks for having a look. Stay tuned for something with wheels and a long, tear-drop shape. No, it's not a fish-mobile.
mw

*There are also two pieces of oak in there. Surprise!